© 2022 All rights Reserved.
The International Cyber Security Summer School (ICSSS) is an annual summer school, originally organised by NATO C&I Agency, Europol, the Netherlands Ministry of Defence Cyber Command, Leiden University and The Hague Security Delta. The first edition took place in 2015, starting with 40 students. Given the success, further editions of the Summer School have been hosted, allowing up to 60 students to participate in the program.
Given the digitisation of our society, cyber security is rising on the political agenda, as the consequences of attacks, incidents and security breaches are increasing. In 2010, a cyber-attack on the Iranian uranium enrichment facilities using Stuxnet, a malicious computerworm, disrupted the operations. In 2011, Sony lost personal data of 77 million users, following the PlayStation network hack, which forced the company to shut it down for nearly three weeks, costing them 171 million dollar. In 2014, the JP Morgan Chase hack exposed the data of 83 million accounts, making it one of the largest cyber-attacks in history. In 2016 it was announced that two separate hacks at Yahoo affected over 1 billion accounts. This resulted in a $250 million discount for Verizon who were about to acquire Yahoo.
The International Cyber Security Summer School allows students and young professionals to gain deeper knowledge and understanding of cyber security concepts, as they will learn about the latest developments and the cutting edge cyber security technologies that exist today. In previous editions, students received lectures and insiders’ perspectives from a variety of industry experts, working for, inter alios, Europol, NATO, the Dutch Department of Security and Justice, The Dutch General Intelligence and Security Service, and the Amsterdam Internet Exchange (AMS-IX).
To be eligible for this program, you should fulfill the following criteria:
- You have the nationality of (a) an EU Member state, (b) a NATO member state, and/or (c) a member state of NATO’s Partnership for Peace programme.
- You are (a) a PhD student, (b) in the final year of your Master’s or (c) a young professional.
- You have a technical, policy and/or law related background
- You have an updated Curriculum Vitae
- You are motivated to take this course, which is expressed in a letter of motivation
- Good functioning computer with a microphone and camera
The tuition fee includes:
- All reading material
- Certificate of attendance
- Goodie Bag
Course Information 2021
In August 2021 60 Master- and PhD-students and young professionals came together to participate in the International Cyber Security Summer School. Their knowledge of behaviour in Cyberspace, the understanding and visualization of the Cyberthreat landscape, and of Cybercrime as a service was broadened through engaging workshops and lectures with the latest development in relation to cyber security.
They gained first-hand experience with working in the international domain of cyber security. The six-day programme was filled with interesting lectures on the topics mentioned above, insiders’ perspectives, challenging group assignments and fun social activities.
ICSSS 2021 included the following group challenges:
- “Cybernorms – responsible behaviour in cyberspace” by Leiden University: what should be regulated in cyberspace and how?
- A three-part challenge by The NATO Communications and Information Agency (NCI Agency) that taught students all about AI.
- A knowledge transfer by Palo Alto preparing for the Capstone Cybersecurity Lab Challenge, in which students got familiar with firewalls, how they work, and how to best use them.
- The Accenture Security Challenge, which gave students a preview of what’s it like to be a consultant in the security domain.
ICSSS Alumni and Speakers Network
In order to “Organize value”, the organization of the International Cyber Security Summer School created an online platform for highly motivated current and future Cyber Security professionals who want to make cyberspace safer as well as to facilitate current and future International Cyber Security Summer School alumni to engage in active discussions and to help solve Cyber related challenges enterprises are facing nowadays.
Join our ICSSS Alumni and Speakers Network on LinkedIn